Sunday, February 6, 2022

Spoiled by the background

 We are always admonished to watch the background as we take photos. The famous spoiler, a telephone pole coming out of the head of your subject, is often one of the examples of what to avoid.  Sometimes, however, we just have no control of what is behind the subjects we photograph.

One of my favorite photos has been a scene of dancer at a festival with groups in native costumes from around the world. Unfortunately it was "photo-bombed" by a lamppost in the background. 

I came across the photo again today and that light fixture just overpowers the photo in my opinion. Here it is:


With a little bit of extra time on my hands, I decided that today was the day to retire that obnoxious lamp and the power lines with it.

Just a few minutes in PaintShop Pro and I had this:


Much, much better, don't you agree?

This being one of my "café art" blogs, I could not leave well enough alone and had to take another step. So her my café art interpretation:



.:. © 2022 Ludwig Keck

7 comments:

  1. When I saw the original my first thought was "10 minutes in your editor can fix that." :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tom. Yes, I just don't know why I hadn't done that years ago.

      Delete
  2. Being photo bombed by unwanted objects, usually power lines, is an unfortunate occurrence that happens to many photographers.This colorful dancers look so much better with that annoying lamp post and power lines. I will admit that my preference is the original vs. the cafe art interpretation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beatrice. Are you telling me that you prefer the photo with the lamp? Would the photo in the middle not be the best one in your opinion? If I had not shown the original would you feel that something is missing? Just shows that we all have our likes and dislikes!

      Delete
  3. Whoops Ludwig, I meant to say "without" that annoying lamp post and power lines! It was a typo which shows I should have read my comment first and corrected it 😟

    Sorry, we missed connecting on our recent road trip stop in GA. We dined at Paisano's with my cousin and enjoyed the lights and the nearby trains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, so we do agree!
      Sorry we could not meet. Things are calmer now - after a visit to the ER a couple days ago. Health can be so fickle.

      Delete
  4. Yes, we regretted that a meet-up this GA visit wasn't possible, but completely understandable. It was wonderful to visit with my cousin once again. We took a road trip to Covington, GA, known as The Hollywood of the South. Several TV shows and films have filmed there and the small town was quite busy the Sat afternoon of our visit. Hopefully, we can get together on a future visit. Visits to the ER are never pleasant and glad things are better.

    ReplyDelete