Sunday, March 1, 2015

Going Their Way

A bit of street photography

The term “street photography” has come to mean artful and novel presentation of candid, everyday life. It can take us long distances in place and time. It tells stories of days long past, of people far and near. Done well, it takes the viewer right into the places and  the lives pictured by the photographer.

By no means do I call myself a street photographer, that specialty and skill requires dedication and hard work, and is a field all its own. But in capturing the world around me, I do find that some of my photos and some of my “café art”  is at least reminiscent of street photography.

Savannah - Eveing on River Street

Going through my archives, I recently noticed that some of my images have people turned away from the camera. The identity of the individuals is lost, but their actions, their places, their destinations tell clear stories. The viewer does not meet these folks, cannot interact with them over place and time, does not step into their lives, but unobtrusive joins them in their journeys, as they are “going their way”.

My friends know that I like to bring images to life by manipulating the lines, forms, and colors. My café art simplifies and emphasizes, takes artistic liberties, and is playful. Some of these scenes are presented here as café art. In some images time and place is removed or obscured, they leave the destination and environment to the imagination of the viewer.

Each picture when clicked takes you to this collection on my OneDrive. You can see the images larger, even as a slide show. Just look for the links when you move your pointer around.

Thank you for going my way!

.:.

© 2015 Ludwig Keck

2 comments:

  1. WOW, what fun to click on your blog today and find a couple of recent photo posts, Ludwig. These were a bit slower loading in my iPad this morning as I was blog reading early today before turning on my desktop PC, but well worth the wait. Street photography has always been a favorite of mine as I studied images of some of the well known photographers from years ago. In my opinion, the most interesting photos are ones in which the subject doesn't realize he/she is the object/subject matter. I thoroughly enjoyed this post...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Beatrice!
    You, unknowingly, were a guinea pig and I appreciate the feedback. For this post I did not use small "thumbnails" but required that viewers download rather large images (2000px). Yes, they do load slower and I think I will go back to smaller images. Blogger imposes a limit on the number of photos in a post. My method gets around that but is inefficient. I will use an alternate approach for such "epic" posts.
    Street photography is not really my style. I am shy and don't seek attention, so in public places I try to treat others as I would like to be treated. I do have a fair collection of "classic" street photos, but those feel like you are interacting with the subjects, not just a silent observer. I agree with you that people are more natural, more themselves, when they don't feel being watched.

    ReplyDelete