Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Visit to a Gallery

What better inspiration than to go see the work of other artists, be they photographers, painters, sculptors, or even engineers. I have often taken my visitors here to places where art and crafts are exhibited. Not so long ago it was the Norcross Art Fest, the Carlos Museum, the Southeastern Railway Museum, even an exhibit of quilts. A couple of my posts covered photo techniques, but one can get lots of ideas form places like an art museum or the Delta Flight Museum.

Closer to home you might find galleries that offer art by contemporary artists. Recently I attended an exhibit opening for works by a European artist, Pietro Piccoli, at R. Alexander Fine Art. It was a most enjoyable display of captivating scenes from around Italy.

Well, it was so inspiring that I processed photos from the event as “café art”, somewhat in the style reminiscent of the artists work, with all due apologies. The portrait below is Pietro as seen through my lens and post-processing tools.

So now I too have had a exhibit of my work. Hope you enjoyed it!

.:.

2 comments:

  1. While I enjoyed your Cafe Art, Ludwig, I was curious as to which profram and effects you used for its creation. The collage did appear to sum up the entire expedience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beatrice. I have a number of manipulation tools that I use. For the images in this post it was mostly Topaz Simplify. The "Impression Color" effect is the basis for most. I like the strong colors and bold simplification that this effect can achieve. To add some detail I mostly use the "Sketch - Pencil Hard" which I often manipulate further with contrast control. I like to add these two effects with "multiply" rather than just mixing them. This retains the strong colors. I adjust the amount of the sketch lines until it seems right. Two of the images also use a zoom effect from PaintShop Pro. You can see it best in the last image. You may not even notice it in the artists portrait. There the face was selected as a separate layer so I could manipulate the background without affecting the portrait. This is a lot of fun, especially on these dreary, cold, foggy, rainy winter days. Be well, and stay warm!

      Delete